You may have heard about it over the weekend, but today, 2K and Firaxis Games officially announced Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth is currently in development by Firaxis Games for PC. The game will also be coming to Mac and Linux via Aspyr Media. Coming this fall, Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth will “send players on an expedition from Earth to lead their people into a new frontier to explore and colonize an alien planet, and create a new civilization.”
You can check out the announcement trailer showing off some great cinematics depicting the future and the game, below:
Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth will propel the development of human civilization beyond the traditional timeline of aCivilization game, by exploring humanity’s future on an alien world. For the first time, players will lead factions divided by contrasting cultures and evolve their new civilizations to reflect their chosen destiny. Players will experience an array of new gameplay possibilities, including nonlinear technological progression, deeper customization of chosen factions, and an entire alien world that will change the very identity of each faction based on their choices.
Key features of Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth include:
- Seed the Adventure: Players will establish a cultural identity, select a leader and sponsor an expedition by assembling the spacecraft, cargo and colonists through a series of choices that directly impact starting conditions when arriving on the new alien planet.
- Alien World: Exploring the benefits and dangers of a new planet filled with dangerous terrain, mystical resources and hostile lifeforms unlike those of Earth, players will build outposts, unearth ancient alien relics, tame new forms of life, develop flourishing cities and establish trade routes to create prosperity for their people.
- New Technology Web: Reflecting forward progress in an uncertain future, technology advancement will occur through a series of nonlinear choices that affect the development of mankind. The tech web is organized around three broad themes, each with a distinct victory condition.
- New Quest System: Quests are infused with fiction about the planet, and will help guide players through a series of side missions that will aid in the collection of resources, upgrading units, and advancing through the game.
- New Orbital Layer: Players will build and deploy advanced military, economic and scientific satellites that provide strategic offensive, defensive and support capabilities from orbit.