Note: [All opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect that of GamerXChange]
The next-generation of gaming consoles is almost in full force. Nintendo’s Wii U has been on the market for a few months, PlayStation is gearing up for their huge announcement on February 20th, and Microsoft is sure to follow soon thereafter. With the future knocking at our front door, a lot of gamers have been wondering what features these systems will hold; Still more have their list of what they want the systems to possess. That’s what I’m going to be talking about today. For a few years now, I have had some high hopes for the next generation of consoles. There are quite a few features that I hope to see incorporated. Fortunately, it looks like many of our dream machines may turn into a reality. The Wii U has already shown us some of these features and rumors on the other next-gen systems seem to indicate that some of our requests may be fulfilled as well. So here are the things I would like to see from our next-gen machines.
I feel like this generation has almost been a testing ground for the next-gen. The leap from the sixth to seventh generation of home gaming systems was a fairly large one and because of that, a lot of new technology and services were used that were not quite perfected yet. Hopefully console manufacturers have learned from this generation to make a wonderful eighth generation. What’s more, I hope there will be new features to compliment the [hopefully] improved ones from the past.
Things that I’ll be looking out for include:
- Improved Trophy syncing for the PlayStation platform
- Ability to take in-game screen captures with the push of a button
- Ability to record or live stream gameplay
- Streamlined social interactions with popular services (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Tumblr, Pinterest, etc.)
- Full remote play between PlayStation’s next-gen and the PlayStation Vita
- Remote functions between Microsoft’s next-gen and other Windows-based hardware
- Remote interaction via web for both systems
- Mobile companion apps for each system and their respective networks
- New and innovative ways to play
- For Microsoft’s next-gen, controllers with built-in rechargeable batteries
- For PlayStation’s next-gen, Party Chat as seen on the PlayStation Vita
- For PlayStation’s next-gen, more USB ports
- For Microsoft’s next-gen, bluetooth connectivity
Obviously, I expect improved hardware and network functions to support these features. Graphically, I do expect more stable and smoother frame rates and higher native resolutions; But I do not expect or really care for any extra leap in gameplay graphics at this time. The most important thing to me are the games and gameplay which I’m really excited to see what’s in store.
So you have seen some of the features I hope to see this upcoming generation. What do you want to see feature-wise? Sound off in the comments below!