Blizzard Entertainment has finally announced when StarCraft II’s first expansion, Heart of the Swarm, will be made available. Coming to stores and also being made available online, StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm will launch beginning March 12, 2013. The game will be available on DVD-ROM for Windows XP/Windows Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8 and Macintosh ( also available digitally directly) at a suggested retail price of $39.99 USD for the regular version and $79.99 for the Collector’s Edition. A digital deluxe version will also be made available for $59.99 via the StarCraft Website. All versions are available for pre-order now.
The new expansion follows up after the events of Wings of Liberty and the story of Kerrigan. In addition, a host of new Multiplayer features and weapons will be introduced in this new game.
You can check out a preview of the upcoming expansion in this trailer below, followed by details on the game and special editions:[youtube http://youtu.be/SG_3R9BoVvg]
Heart of the Swarm features a new campaign continuing the epic story of Sarah Kerrigan, Queen of Blades, as she gathers the remnants of the zerg Swarm and plots her revenge against the treacherous dictator of the Koprulu sector, Arcturus Mengsk. It also introduces several new multiplayer units and features that enhance the acclaimed StarCraft II online experience.
Heart of the Swarm picks up the story of StarCraft II where Wings of Liberty left off, focusing on Kerrigan’s quest to reunite the Swarm and exact revenge on Arcturus Mengsk. Over the course of 20 campaign missions, players will follow Kerrigan as she sweeps across the galaxy, incorporating a variety of distinctive zerg species into her brood. Kerrigan will grow in strength from mission to mission, and players will be able to customize her with powerful new abilities, as well as evolve various zerg strains into fearsome new subspecies to suit their play style. – Blizzard
For those fans that are looking for a bit more content, Blizzard is offering a Collector’s Edition of Heart of the Swarm. The CE will come with with digital and physical bonus items, available exclusively at select retail stores for a suggested retail price of $79.99 USD. For those opting in for the digital download version of the game, there will be an option to purchase a Digital Deluxe version, which will include all of the digital items from the Collector’s Edition for $59.99 USD.
The Digital Deluxe version of Heart of the Swarm includes a full digital copy of the expansion along with the following in-game bonus items:
- StarCraft II Torrasque: Crush the enemies of the Swarm with the indomitable Torrasque, a fearsome new look for your zerg Ultralisks.
- StarCraft II Battle.net Portraits and Decals: New Swarm-infested Battle.net portraits and decals help you customize the look of your online profile and in-game army.
- World of Warcraft In-Game Pet: The Baneling companion pet is bursting with enthusiasm and ready to explode onto the Pet Battles scene.
- Diablo III Blade Wings and Banner Sigil: Grow zerg-like wings in honor of the Queen of Blades, and unfurl an exclusive banner sigil to mark your allegiance to the Swarm in Sanctuary.
The Collector’s Edition includes the full version of the game on DVD-ROM and the following items (in addition to the content from the Digital Deluxe version):
- Behind-the-Scenes DVD and Blu-ray: Immerse yourself in the StarCraft universe with developer commentary, interviews with voice actors, and an in-depth historical retrospective on StarCraft’s eSports legacy narrated by key members of the community.
- Collector’s Edition Soundtrack CD: Enhance your Heart of the Swarm musical experience with this collection of more than a dozen tracks from the game.
- Heart of the Swarm Hardcover Art Book: This 144-page tome features never-before-seen art from the expansion, including early concept sketches and meticulous 3D renderings.
- Zerg Rush Mousepad: This Collector’s Edition mousepad depicts the Terran Dominion holding out desperately under the onslaught of the Swarm.
Make sure to check out StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm when it hits computers starting on March 12, 2013.